Insurance Q&A

This section provides high level, summary guidance on:

  • Implications for your Professional Liability & Malpractice policy, and how it may respond to negligence claims made against you,
  • Business Interruption cover (if part of your Business Protection policy)
  • Other virus-related insurance matters.

Some very important caveats:

  • This is general guidance only; individual matters arising require reference to the full terms and conditions of the relevant policy.
  • Insurance companies (irrespective of the virus) will not comment definitively on hypothetical claim scenarios. Any actual claim will be assessed in line with policy cover on its individual, specific circumstances and merits.
Professional Liability & Malpractice insurance:

Q: What cover applies to virus related claims?
A: The policy covers you against third party claims and allegations of negligently causing accidental bodily injury (which includes illness) in the course of your business. The onus will be on the claimant to prove you were negligent. Any claim will be individually judged by insurers and subject to the full policy terms and conditions.

Q: What do I do if someone makes an allegation or claim against me?
A: Report it immediately to us, preferably by email to Claims@balens.co.uk. We will support you in the normal way in getting all relevant information together for insurers. Do not admit liability. Please refer to your policy document for full claims conditions.

Q: Does my policy cover me to practice my business activities online?
A: Yes - with certain exceptions the policy will automatically provide cover for the business activities on your policy schedule when it is possible to conduct them via Skype, telephone or online consultations. All are subject to the standard terms and conditions of the policy, including the record keeping conditions that you can find in the 'Conditions' section of the policy wording.

If you have any queries about online or 'virtual' trading please email:

The main exceptions to cover, unless specifically agreed and endorsed on your policy, are:

  • Activities provided to clients in the USA and/or Canada, and
  • Cover for training resulting in the issue of a certificate of competency.

Please contact us at the email addresses above if you require cover for either of these matters. Additional information will be required.

Business Protection Insurance:

Q: Does my policy include Business Interruption/Loss of Income cover?
A: This is an optional cover section - your policy schedule will show if cover is operative.

Q: Will my policy cover me for loss of income should I need to shut my business due to the Coronavirus?
A: Please see our page on Business Protection Policy Holders - Loss of Income Insurance

Q: Does my policy cover for any loss of income if I, or my clients, cancel appointments because of the Coronavirus?
A: No, there is no cover under the policy for loss of income or business expenses in this scenario.

Q: Will insurers extend cover for all virus-related loss of income?
A: No - given the circumstances we cannot foresee any insurer starting to offer cover at this time.

Other virus-related Q&As

Q: I have a Business Protection policy - am I covered for Employers' Liability?
A: The policy automatically includes cover for Employers' Liability. This covers claims from employees for bodily injury arising out of their employment with you. There would need to be an element of negligence attaching to you (the policy holder), for a claim to be considered. Please report any allegations to Claims@balens.co.uk immediately, and do not make any admission of liability.

Q: What is the position with Personal Accident & Sickness (Income Protection) Policies?
A: Balens predominately deal with Personal Accident & Sickness Insurance policies for individuals. These policies provide benefits should you be unable to work due to an accident and/or illness that you suffer in connection with your business activities. If your policy includes sickness cover and you contract Coronavirus a claim may be considered, as always, each case will be taken on its merits. We are seeking clarity from insurers should the loss arise from self-isolation without actually having the illness.

Please note we do not provide policies for mortgage protection payments, unemployment protection, redundancy, permanent health or long-term income protection

Q: I hold a different type of policy with Balens - how can I find out how it will respond relating to the Coronavirus?
A: Please email ComBus@balens.co.uk for guidance.

Q: Should I continue to run my business and offer to see clients for treatments, therapies, consultations and or advice?
A: As an insurance broker such advice exceeds our remit, regrettably we cannot comment. We know a number of professional associations are issuing guidance, if you are a member please check your association's website. We also recommend you refer to government guidelines regarding the running of your business - www.gov.uk

Q: What do I do if I think I may need to claim under my policy?
A: Notify us immediately via Claims@balens.co.uk. Claims conditions vary by policy type so please refer to your policy documents for full terms and conditions.

Q: My insurance policy through Balens is due for renewal, but I’m not working. Can Balens help?
A: The key question you should consider here, is “what does your insurance policy provides cover for?”

If the policy is for Professional Liability, Public & Products Liability Insurance, and you are still providing advice, treatment, therapies or instruction to any clients, even virtually (via online platforms such as zoom etc) then, you will still have the need to protect you and your business for breach of your professional duty. Legal defence and damage pay-outs can be costly.

If your policies include insurance cover for loss, destruction and or damage to physical assets that you own and/or are responsible for then, we consider that any suitable policy should remain in force. The likelihood of a fire, flood, theft/vandalism etc still remains. Consider insurance requirements under any contracts you may have entered into for the leasing of equipment and/or property – you may be contractually bound to continue with insurance cover.

Balens are very aware at the moment that businesses need our full support and have options regarding this (please also see below re Finance). Please contact us for details.

Q: I may struggle with repayments on my insurance Finance agreement, what should I do?
A: Please contact us - we will always try to support you and where possible come to a new, more manageable arrangement based on your individual circumstances. It is really important that you make contact at the earliest opportunity and prior to cancelling any direct debit mandate with your bank. Early contact gives us the best chance of agreeing a revised arrangement for you, the absence of which may result in cancellation of your policy.
Please email: