Balens involvement with insuring Osteopaths goes back to the early 1990s before the advent of Statutory Regulation, and whilst we have seen many changes in the years over the requirements for Osteopaths, we have kept involved, regularly liaising and advising regulators as necessary and ensuring our insurance policy offers exceptional cover to protect the livelihoods of Osteopaths.
As an individual practitioner or business owner, you can be held legally liable for loss or damage to other people’s property, plus injury, harm or financial loss alleged to have been caused to your clients, patients or other parties. Balens Professional Liability and Malpractice Insurance Policy has been specifically designed to protect you in these circumstances and includes many important additional features that other policies may not cover, reducing the risk that you won’t be covered, should the unfortunate occur.
Insurance is there to protect you in the event of a complaint or claim situation. At Balens we cover Statutory loss of licence appeal and disciplinary hearings defence, before and during a complaint process. Our claims team are experienced with dealing with regulators and will assist during the full process, should the unfortunate occur. Please see Disciplinary and Grievance Hearings for more details.
Benefits of the Balens Osteopaths Liability Insurance Policy:
The Balens Professional Liability and Malpractice insurance policy has been designed for Health and Well-Being professionals / therapists / practitioners that provide advice, treatment, activities and / or therapies to members of the public. The policy has the following areas of cover:
£6m Professional Liability Cover
This covers your legal liability for any breach of your professional duty due to a negligent act, error or omission committed or alleged to have been committed. The limit of liability selected will apply to any one claim and will cover an unlimited number of claims per policy year.
£6m Public Liability Cover
This covers your legal liability for accidental injury to any third party and or their property through acts of negligence. The limit of liability selected will apply to any one claim and will cover an unlimited number of claims per policy year.
£6m Products Liability Cover
This cover your legal liability for accidental injury to any third party and / or their property through the use, sale and / or distribution of defective products. The limit of liability is for all claims during the year (aggregate) and covers an unlimited number of claims up to the limit of liability. This cover includes sale or distribution of products to your own clients connected with the therapies / activities that we insure. A turnover restriction of £30,000 applies for sales to non-clients in any one year. We have a separate Health Products Policy should your additional sales exceed this limit.
The Balens Health Professionals Liability Policy has an extension for all previous work performed, and will cover claims arising during this period provided there was an insurance policy in place at the time that the work was carried out, it does not have to be ours.
There is a requirement that any claim made under this area of cover is first notified to you during the period of insurance with us and the previous insurance policy in force at the time of the event will not respond. Full details of any previous policy must be provided in the event of a claim.
Peace of Mind after you cease trading
The Balens Health Professionals Liability Policy is on a claims occurring basis. A major benefit of this type of wording is that any work performed when the policy was in force will be covered now and at any point in the future, this is subject to the terms and condition of the policy. There is no need to purchase additional run-off cover which would be required on a claims made wording, and can be quite costly.
- Cover for temporary work abroad (excluding cover for work in the USA & Canada. Policies can be extended by referral)
Can include over 3,500 different therapies / activities within the one policy
Subject to qualification, many at no additional premium. We have a flexible underwriting approach and are regularly reviewing new activities and techniques.
Teaching covered as standard
Including training and running workshops – Cover for you undertaking the above activities is provided under the standard policy so long as you are not issuing a certificate of competency. In cases where a certificate of competency is issued, we can offer a training extension that covers a turnover of up to £20,000 per annum and / or 40 students, including issuing of certification. A separate Training Schools policy is also available should your needs extend beyond these limits.
Pre-disciplinary hearings legal advice up to £1,500
Any one occurrence, to cover costs and expenses when preparing a response to allegations of unprofessional conduct or behaviour.
Significant Conditions and Exclusions
It is important that you comply with the Conditions and note the Exclusions of cover. The below is only a summary of the principal terms and conditions of cover. Please refer to the policy document for full details.
- Record keeping – It is extremely important to note that the policy does require you to undertake and keep a record of all consultations and treatments provided. Full details of your obligations are shown in the policy wording.
- Claims notification – There is a condition that all incidents that may give rise to a claim must be notified to Balens.
- Instruments – There is a requirement to ensure sterilisation of instruments used for touching or piercing of skin, dealing with fluid spillage and disposal of clinical waste.
- Qualification – you should be suitably qualified for the treatments/advice/therapies that you provide and evidence of such must be provided when cover is arrange or when a claim occurs.
- Treatment by beauty therapists, cosmetologists and hairdressers – There are a number of conditions, including regarding patch tests, use of impermeable membranes where spillages may cause staining for the client, after care treatment advice and training / qualification requirements for certain treatments. Please see the policy wording for full details.
- Employers Liability Insurance.
- Treatment / advice on any person under the age of 16 unless parental consent is obtained. Certain treatments do have an exclusion for under 18’s and details will be clear on any quotation/policy document provided to you.
- Criminal acts.
- Any fines, penalties or liquidated / punitive damages as a result of a contract, agreement or legal requirement.
And DAS Legal and Taxation Policy that includes:
Commercial Legal Protection insurance with a limit of liability of £100,000 per claim
- Cover for legal defence costs against criminal allegations.
- Pre-disciplinary and Disciplinary Hearings cover.
- Jury service and court attendance cover.
- Tax protection cover relating to a tax enquiry, an employer compliance dispute and/or VAT dispute.
- Unlimited access to legal and tax helplines.
- Telephone counselling service.
All policies are subject to Terms and Conditions.
Optional Extensions to cover:
Personal Accident - A lump sum benefit payable on death or disablement
The maximum benefit amount under the policy is £25,000.
What is insured?
This policy covers you for bodily injury caused by accident and does not cover any claim caused or contributed by sickness. The policy will pay a maximum amount of £25,000 if you suffer bodily injury during the period of insurance which results in your:
- Accidental death.
- Loss of, or loss of use of, a limb(s).
- Loss of sight.
- Loss of hearing.
- Loss of speech.
- Permanent total disablement.
- Permanent partial disablement.
- Coma Benefit up to a maximum of £1,000.
- Funeral expenses up to a maximum of £5,000.
- Medical expenses.
- Relative travel expenses.
- Up to £15,000 for reasonable expenses incurred in retraining in an alternative occupation.
- Any bodily injury, loss or expense arising from:
- Engaging in active service of the armed forces in any nation.
- Drugs, drug addiction and / or drink driving.
- Travel to dangerous or unsettled areas.
- Any gradually operating causes.
- Non-passenger air travel.
- Suicide or self-injury.
- Any claim by a person of 76 years of age unless bodily injury occurs during the period of insurance in which the person attains that age.
- Insured person under 18 years of age.
- Reasonable care.
Business Equipment ‘All Risks’ Cover
Provides cover for business equipment, contents and / or stock up to a maximum value of £5,000.
Sum insured options of: £1,500, £3,000 or £5,000.
What is insured?
- Property used solely in connection with your business, belonging to you or for which you are legally responsible.
- Property including therapy equipment, office equipment, tablet devices, computers and ancillary equipment, electronic equipment, photographic equipment, stock.
- A £100 policy excess applies to each and every claim.
- Property taken outside of the UK, worldwide for a maximum of 60 days in any one period of insurance.
- Brittle articles.
- Damage caused by wear, tear or any gradually operating cause.
- Damage caused by any act of dishonesty committed by any employee.
- Theft from an unattended vehicle – all doors, windows and other means of access are securely fastened and locked. All valuable items are locked in secure compartments and hidden from view. Any security devices for protection of the vehicle are put into full and effective operation.
In all areas, cover applies as per the standard Terms and Conditions of the policy. Please click here for full details of the policy.
Please contact us to get a personalised quote for your practice:
If you are a member of any Association or Training School who hold a customised insurance scheme with Balens, you will be eligible for discounted rates. If you are not, you will be able to join our Individual Bridge Block scheme for Health and Well-Being Professionals.
Other policies services which may be useful:
Balens have a range of additional policies that you may wish to consider as part of your insurance portfolio.
- Business Protection – for when your contents or stock exceed the limits of our All Risks Policy. Also includes Employers Liability Insurance, which is a legal requirement when employing staff / volunteers.
- Clinic / Salon Policy – As your business grows you may need to cover the business and business name for the work, treatments and / or advice of more than one person. Balens offer two options of cover designed to cater for this need, Contingent Cover and a Full Clinic Policy. The ‘Clinic’ policy can cover work performed by other qualified professionals, whether employed or self-employed that work under your corporate name. Please also see our Article – Do you run a Multi Profession Clinic?
- Health Products Insurance Package – Balens have devised a package policy for Health, Wellbeing, Fitness and Beauty Professionals that may be involved in the manufacture, sale and / or distribution of related products.
- Cyber / Crime Insurance – Your business may be at risk if you use any form of internet-based technology within your business or for the storage of data. Cyber / Crime insurance is designed to protect businesses and individual users from these risks, including such elements as theft of funds, loss of data, online fraud, transmission of a virus.
- Training Schools – If you hold a Professional teaching qualification and are a qualified Health, Wellbeing, Fitness or Beauty Practitioner who wants to train and certify others, Balens offer a Teaching School Insurance for an unlimited number of students.
If you are looking to offer training which issues certificates of attendance only, this is automatically included in our Balens Professional Indemnity policy with no limits and for no additional premium. If you are issuing certificates of competence, a Training School extension can be added to your Professional Liability policy for an additional premium (limits apply). Please also see our Article – Do You Treat & Teach or Do You Need A Training School Policy?
- Personal Accident and Sickness Policies or Income Protection – This cover may be of particular importance for those that are self-employed and have no alternative income. Balens have devised and arranged a policy designed to pay out either a lump sum or a weekly benefit (if selected) in the event of an accident, bodily injury to you and /or illness depending upon the type of policy chosen. Please also see our Article – Personal Accident and Sickness Cover.
- Household Insurance – Please contact us to find out more about how we can assist you with protecting your buildings, contents and / or personal possessions. Also see our Article – Home Insurance for more information.
As well as full cover for your Osteopathic work, our policy will automatically cover you for many other therapies, provided you have the suitable qualifications, including:
- Baby Massage
- Clinical Hypnotherapy
- Cognitive Therapy
- Cranio Sacral Therapy
- Herbal Medicine
- Hot Stones Massage
- Indian Head Massage
- Life Coaching
- Massage (including Deep Tissue)
- Meditation & Mind Instruction
- Pilates (including Gyrotonics)
- Psychotherapy (including Jungian Analysts)
- Sports Massage
- Tai Chi (Non-Combat)