The sad fact is that we may all suffer from periods in our lives when we are unable to work due to sickness or an accident. Where employed individuals will benefit from a company sickness policy or statutory sick pay, the same is not necessarily the case for the self-employed, or if you own and operate your own business. 

Balens have for many years provided Personal Accident and Illness policies, offering our clients choice in the level of protection they would like to opt for. This type of policy can help cover you, as an individual, from the impact of ill health and injury that has stopped you from working. The policy will provide a lump sum, or fixed term (typically 1 – 2 years) weekly / monthly pay out, depending upon policy terms and conditions. This should not be confused with long term Income Protection

If you wish to explore more and different forms of Income Protection then please contact us or click here.

Personal Accident and Illness cover options available -

  • Personal Accident Insurance

    Low cost protection for weekly benefits, in the event of temporary partial or total inability to do normal occupation for up to 2 years, including Loss of Limb / Sight / Hearing / Speech, Medical Expenses, Permanent Total Disablement, Continental Scale, Temporary Total Disablement, Temporary Partial Disablement.

  • Personal Accident and Illness Insurance

    This extends the Personal Accident section to include total temporary disablement due to Illness up to 2 years.

  • Income Protection Options

    Offered via our Partner Organisations.

All policies are subject to Terms and Conditions.

Please contact us to get a personalised quote for your practice:

Personal Lines Department 01684 580 788

Other policies services which may be useful:

Balens have a range of additional policies that you may wish to consider as part of your insurance portfolio.

  • Balens Professional Liability Insurance policy For individual therapists / health, well-being, fitness or beauty professionals, looking for an insurance solution to cover them, in the event they are held legally liable for any breach of their Professional Duty in connection with their business activities i.e. advice/treatments/therapies provided. Please also see our Article – Introduction to Insurance.
  • Contents, Equipment & Employers Liability Insurance – Balens have devised a range of contents package options to cover contents stock and equipment which you own and / or are responsible for.  Employers Liability is included as standard, plus you have the option to add additional sections of cover such as Business Interruption, Buildings Insurance, Products Liability and Terrorism. Please also see our Article – Risk Management for Salon Owners.  
  • Charities and Not-for-Profit Organisations - Are you a community Band or similar? Do you have volunteers or Trustees? Balens have a range of options to meet the insurance requirements for this business sector.   
  • Clinic / Salon Policy – As your business grows you may need to cover the business and business name for the work, treatments and / or advice of more than one person.  Balens offer two options of cover designed to cater for this need, Contingent Cover and a Full Clinic Policy. The ‘Clinic’ policy can cover work performed by other qualified professionals, whether employed or self-employed that work under your corporate name. Please also see our Article – Do you run a Multi Profession Clinic?
  • Cyber / Crime Insurance – Your business may be at risk if you use any form of internet-based technology within your business or for the storage of data. Cyber / Crime insurance is designed to protect businesses and individual users from these risks, including such elements as theft of funds, loss of data, online fraud, transmission of a virus.
  • Health Products Insurance Package – Balens have devised a package policy for Health, Well-Being, Fitness and Beauty Professionals that may be involved in the manufacture, sale and / or distribution of related products. 
  • Training School Insurance – If you hold a Professional teaching qualification and are a qualified Health, Well-Being, Fitness or Beauty Practitioner who wants to train and certify others, Balens offer a Teaching School Insurance for an unlimited number of students.
    If you are looking to offer training which issues certificates of attendance only, this is automatically included in our Balens Professional Indemnity policy with no limits and for no additional premium. If you are issuing certificates of competence, a Training School extension can be added to your Professional Liability policy for an additional premium (limits apply). Please also see our Article – Do You Treat & Teach or Do You Need A Training School Policy?
  • Household Insurance – Please contact us to find out more about how we can assist you with protecting your buildings, contents and / or personal possessions. Also see our Article – Home Insurance for more information.